About Voices Israel
The Voices Israel Group of Poets in English started in response to a letter from Leslie Summers published in the Jerusalem Post, July, 1971. The four founding members, Leslie Summers, Reuben Rose, Moshe-Ben-Zvi and Jacob Katwan, held their first meeting in August of that year.
From this small beginning, the organization has grown to a membership of 160 poets in Israel and many other countries. We are a fully-accredited and approved non-profit organization registered since 1993 with the Israeli Organizations Registrar.
- to provide an outlet for writers of English poetry in
- to encourage new poets in their art
- to promote international friendships through poetry
How We Achieve Them
- Members read their work at monthly group meetings in their town or locality, for friendly discussion and positive critique.
- One or two poems from each group’s meeting are published in
the Voices Newsletter each month.
- We hold workshops two or three times a year, mainly for
members but non-members and prospective members are welcome to join us.
For more information, see our Workshops page.
- We holds an annual competition among our members, in memory of Reuben Rose,
the founding editor. Submissions, which are
anonymous, are judged by a panel of three independent judges. Cash prizes totaling $700 are awarded as well as publication of the
winning poems and those awarded honorable mentions.
- We encourage membership by interested poets from other countries, and publish a monthly selection of their contributions in the Voices
newsletter along with those chosen at each meeting by our Israeli members.
- We seek and maintain affiliations with English-language poetry organizations world-wide and encourage our members to publish
We currently have Voices groups in the cities of Jerusalem, Tel-Aviv, Haifa, Netanya, Ashkelon and Bet Shemesh, and the regions of Upper Galilee, Western Galilee, Sharon (together with Netanya), Gush Etzion (when the number of poets allows), and Southern Israel. A list of our officers and branch coordinators is on the Contacts page.
How to Join Us
We welcome visitors thinking of joining us to any of our monthly meetings - for your local group coordinator see our Contacts page.
Our annual membership fee is 120 NIS for Israeli residents / $40 for overseas members; "Early Birds" rate (until March 31st of that year) 100 NIS / $35 respectively. To join, please download our application form, fill it in, and send it with your payment (check or bank transfer) to our Treasurer, Chanita Millman (details are in the application form).
We look forward to seeing you!